Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sudden Heat

I have to say it although it may sound like I am belittling those who are suffering due to the activities surrounding the economic chaos in the U.S.A.

I wish there would be an economic collapse of the financial system. I have loved ones in the U.S. who would suffer. So would I, because most of my current savings are U.S. dollar denominated. But, and this is a really bit but, I would choose to suffer now because the cancerous economic system in the U.S. is the progenitor of almost every other nations model. There are obviously big differences between India's policies and the U.S. but ultimately the only measure accepted by both systems is a quantifiable value - something that can be measured in cold Dollars or Rupees.

The food crisis of a few months back is said to have been caused by unfounded rumors but the real fact is that prices of all food commodities have risen far more than they have in the previous five years put together. I know I cannot talk in detailed economic terms but I do know that the major reason for price rises is that demand outstrips supply. I know there are a host of mitigating factors and what I said sounds too cut and dried.

I think a collapse of the financial networks and there obscene power to destroy anything that stands in their way would work wonders for all of us. There may be a magnitude of suffering rivaling the tsunami but it will not be the end of the world. Right now we are like the proverbial frog that is slowly being cooked in water that is being warmed on a slow fire of environmental rapine and social anomie. The financial collapse would be like a sudden full flame that would perhaps make us the foolish frog jump out of this mess in sudden reflex.

No comments: