Sunday, April 20, 2008

thinkArete is not enough

This is a series I hope to do in which I rant against all the big ideas here from my confused and not so politically correct partially westernized Indian Christian persective (is there anything like that?). Thanks to Brian for so painstakingly collecting them here.

Idea 1 (a very brief extact only, read it in full)
"Live to your highest potential--moment to moment to moment."

In a damaged world for broken human beings this is somewhat difficult because often without outside help we do not know what exactly is our highest potential.

Also another echo of this idea is the invisible hand of market economics where Adam Smith (I have not read his book so what I know is only from secondary sources) states that every person seeking their own economic interest will lead the market to its most optimum state. This is patently not true, witness the recent troubles of the sub-prime meltdown in the U.S.A.

My conclusion is that purely on your own without a careful yet dynamic "presence" of the context (family, neighbouhood, society, culture, God) in your decision about your highest potential, you have a very high potential to damage yourself and your context.

I would love to hear what you think.

No comments: